Skip to main content

Another Book: Light on Snow

I've never read books by Anita Shreve before though I've always come across the bunch of them at MPH. I wanted to get away from the likes of Danielle Steel, as I thought she was in that league. Lately, I was always drawn to books on women issues - the struggles, hardships, emotions, feelings, etc. The last few books I read are all about that - She's Come Undone, Women in White, Sophie's Bakery, etc. But then I was curious about Shreve's books. Her name sounded like someone who would write my kind of books. Wishing to try, I bought Light on Snow. The review was ok, the cover picture was good, time was short, my daughter was whining so I grabbed the book. And I was not disappointed.

It's a father and daughter story - a Robert Dillon and his daughter Nicky. Robert lost his wife and baby in a car accident. Tramautised by the accident, he left his high flying career in New York City and went to rural New Hampshire where he started life new as a carpenter in a place where he knew nobody and nobody knew him. Father and daughter saved an abandoned baby from the freezing snow and that started the story with a detective in tow and the baby's mother Charlotte.

So, this is no ordinary women story but about how a man coped with the lost of his loved ones. And how he coped with bringing up his surviving daughter. Maybe that would be how my husband would react if he lost me. I don't know... I rarely read anything about a man's grief, so this is is truly an eye-opener.